Thursday 11 February 2016

Wednesday Practice Review Part 2

If you didn't see Part 1 for my Wednesday practice review, here it is: Wednesday Part 1

Our main focus of the day was a set of 15x200 or 12x200 Free IM.

The results were very good across the board.  Like Monday, we didn't have too many people who were not on it  -- I'd prefer to have everyone but when we are getting an 85% success rate I'd say the opportunity is there for 100%!

Jack led the way on the A interval.  We went 5 Free IM 200s on 230, then 225, then after 40 extra seconds 5 on 220.  Jack went from 2:10-2:04 throughout the set.  The final set on 2:20 was an average of 205-206 with a 204 on the end.  We had 7 other guys going between 2:10 and 2:15 for the duration of the set.  Good work on fairly short rest.  Jack, I'm think you are ready for this set doing regular IM, and/or a set of 30x200 Free IM going 10 on 225, 10 on 220, and 10 on 215.  Not on the same day.

The B interval was 240, 235, and 230.  We have almost everyone in the training group going 225 or better on this interval, with most people going between 2:10 and 2:20 on the average throughout the set.

One thing I've noticed with our training group: we tend to do very well on simple aerobic sets that have tough intervals.  In fact, the reason I chose this set was because I predicted we would do well on it as a group.  Do you know that every day, that's my process?  I consider the athletes who are going to be doing the practice -- and then about the practice -- not the other way around.  Generally I am going to plan for the leaders in the lanes (can't do that the other way around either!), and my feeling is that those who are going 2nd-3rd-4th in the lane should try to move up in the lane, generally speaking, and basically imitate and/or challenge those who are leading the way.

I'll see you all at the YMCA today.  We will begin strength training at the the usual 3:30, and we will get into the water at 4:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment